Published by many magazines, used by many housewifes and everyone speaking about it, coconut oil is very popular these days. Below are 101 reasons why that is happening.
This oil is very rich with nutrients, antioxidants as it is with fat-soulable vitamins. For many centuries it has been used for cosmetics and hair shampoos because it hydrates the skin and it has positive effects on the hair.
Its uses are countless, read for yourself:
Body and Skincare
If you use cosmetics, choose the ones based on coconut oil. These cosmetics are better because they have longer shelf life, they are powerful and rich with antioxidant effects, able skin-soothing and anti-aging.
Here are many ways to use coconut oil for your hair,skin and body:
- To reduce wrinkles: To soften the skin and reduce their appearance, simply apply a little bit of coconut oil.
- Stop hair detangle: Apply a little bit of coconut oil, leave it for a few minutes. Then gently comb it.
- Accelerate hair growth: It improves hair strength and and reduces breakage.
- Puffy eyes: To reduce the appearance of puffy eyes, apply some coconut oil around them before sleep.
- Moisturize the skin: Mix it with other essential oils an you can freely use it anywhere on your body for aromatherapy effects.
- Conditioner: Hydrate the scalp, repair split ends, provide a healthy glow, are just a few effects that coconut oil can cause to your hair. Put two teaspoons in a small container, and then place the container in a larger bowl full of hot water. This will melt the coconut oil, then use it by applying on the roots and massaging them. Cover your hair with a towel and leave it for an hour.
- Reduce dandruff: Melt coconut oil and apply it to your hair, let it sit overnight and wash it off in the morning.
- Aftershave lotion: To avoid razor cuts and soften your skin, replace your aftershave lotion with coconut oil.
- Shaving cream: To hydrate your facial skin and soften it, use coconut oil instead of casual shaving cream.
- Hair protection from the sun: Put some coconut oil on your palms and run your fingers through the hair for a few times.
- Lip balm: Add solid coconut oil, to heal cracked lips and moisturize them.
- Exfoliating body scrub: Melt a ½ cup of coconut oil, add two to four teaspoons of brown and white sugar, stir, pour them into small cups and leave them in the fridge. Slice a piece and you can exfoliate damp skin.
- Exfoliate facial skin: A mix from soda and coconut oil in equal amounts, will remove dirt, and brighten the complexion.
- Facial mask: Mix coconut oil with a tablespoon of raw honey, apply it on the face and let it there for 20 minutes. Then wash it with warm water, this will brighten the complexion.
- Exfoliate the feet: Mix the coconut oil with coarse salt and scrub the feet.
- Soften the elbows: To soften the elbow skin, rub them a little bit with coconut oil.
- Heal cracked heels: Add a little bit of coconut oil on the heels to make them softer.
- Nail and cuticule treatment: To stimulate nail growth and soften the cuticules, apply coconut oil on them before bedtime.
- Mascara brush cleaner: Soak the brush in the oil for 5-10 minutes, to clean it easier.
- Enhance eyelashes: To make your eyelashes full of volume and make them full of life, swab some of the oil on them.
- Cheekbone highlighter: To highlight your cheekbones, after you have added makeup just add a little bit of coconut oil.
- Exfoliate the lips: Mix 2 teaspoons of sugar and coconut oil, and add it on your lips.
- Massage oil: If you want to boost the effects of your massage, simply mix a ¼ cup of coconut oil with a few drops of essential oils.
- Remove wax from the skin: Add the oil on your hair and wipe it with leftover wax by using a washcloth that is warm.
- Makeup remover: It is a soft and nice way to remove makeup from your skin. Just add a few drops on your fingers and make circular motions, then wash it off with warm water.
- Bath oil: To naturally coat and refresh your skin, add a few drops to your warm bath. But first melt the oil in a cup. Also you can mix it with other essential oils for a beautifull aroma.
- Personal lubricant: It is an amazing and safe lubricant, but do not use it if you use condoms.
- Lotion Bar: Add a cup of shea butter, a cup of beeswax, cup of this oil in a quart sized glass mason jar with a lid. Then place the jar in a bowl of hot water to melt the mixture. Then cool it when it melts and add a teaspoon of vitamin E oil.
- Reduce cellulite: Apply coconut oil on the areas where you have cellulite.
- Tattoo moisturizer: To reduce itchiness on a new tattoo apply coconut oil on the tattoo.
- Deodorant: Mixing shea butter, beeswax with coconut oil in a jar, and then putting it in a bowl of hot water will melt the mixture. Add 3 tablespoons of baking soda, a tablespoon of vitamin E oil and half a cup of arrowroot powder to the mixture, stir it and pour it in smaller cups. Allow it to cool down.
- Diminish Varicose Veins: Apply a thin layer on the affected area to reduce its appearance.
- Reduce stretch marks: Use coconut oil to reduce the appearance of stretch marks by rubbing some on the area where they appear.
Cooking, Food and Drinks
It is delicious to add it to your kitchen recepies. This oil appears in 2 types, unrefined and refined. The refined coconut oil has no taste, it stands very high temperatures. The process of refining the oil involves chemicals to bleach, hydrogenate the oil, deodorize, and this leads to forming trans-fats. Therefore the unrefined or also called virgin coconut oil, is taken fresh out of a coconut, it keeps the taste and hasn’t gone through refining process.
Here is how to use it in the kitchen:
- Replace it with butter: Instead of using butter, use coconut oil and eat it in your breakfast, simply with your toast or bagel.
- Smoothies: Blend 2 cups of coconut milk, ¼ cup of coconut oil, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of Gelatin Powder, ½ cup of strawberries and 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder. Enjoy the consistency and the benefits of coconut oil in your smoothie.
- Cooking Oil: Replace your regular cooking oil with coconut oil, it has a great taste and texture.
- Grease Pans: Use it to grease your pans, it is a healthy and safe way to do it with coconut oil.
- Sweetener: Replace sugar with this oil, it has a slightly sweet taste.
- Salad dressing: Improve the taste of your salad and improve the absorption of the nutrients, by using coconut oil.
- Prevent freezer burn: To prevent your freezer from icy walls, add a thin layer or coconut oil on the walls.
- Popcorn topping: Mix salt with coconut oil, and use it for your popcorn.
- Dish Cleaner: Lubricate the dishes with some coconut oil, to remove stubborn food stains and make it easier for washing.
- Preserve eggs: Add a thin layer of coconut oil on the egg shells and make them last longer.
- Creamer in Tea or Coffee: Blend 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 cups of hot coffee, 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, and enjoy!
- Mayonnaise: Add 2/3 of a cup of olive oil, 2/3 of a cup of coconut oil , a tablespoon of lemon juice, mustard, and 4 egg yolks, for a healthy homemade mayonnaise.
Home Remedies and Health:
- As we mentioned before, this oil is full of antioxidant and antibacterial qualities. We highly recommend coconut oil for topical use, and fractionated coconut oil, because they are highly concentrated with caprylic and capric acids.
- Energy booster: Triglycerides, known as saturated fats, are highly concentrated in coconut oil.
- Treat Athletes Foot: Mix coconut oil with tea tree oil, and rub it on the feet for treating and relieving an athlete’s foot.
- Improve Bone Health: This oil helps your body to absorb more vitamins and nutrients, that are good for the bones.
- Treat hemorrhoids: Treat the pain of hemorrhoids by applying on the affected area.
- Aromatherapy: Mixing this oil with herbal extracts and essential oils will help your body and mind to relax.
- Boost the immune system: Adding coconut to your diet will help your organism to fight diseases and viruses very easily.
- Curb the Appetite: To control your food portions, eat a tablespoon of the oil.
- Fight Inflammation: It is highly recommended to use it for treating inflammation, since it is rich with lauric and capric acids.
- Helps Blood Circulation: Using it will improve your blood circulation.
- Thyroid Supporter: Its laxative properties will improve your metabolism and soften your stools.
- Help Digestion: To improve and treat digestion, take a few table spoons daily of this oil.
- Fights Arthritis: It can soothe arthritis pain because of its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Treat Fungal and Yeast Infections: Adding 3-5 tablespoons of coconut oil to your daily diet will help your organism to fight bacteria, yeast, fungi, parasites and viruses.
- Treat Toenail Fungus: Applying few drops of this oil daily, on your toenails will treat the fungus.
- Relief from Heartburn/Acid Reflux: To treat heartburn and esophagus, take 3 tablespoons of this oil daily.
- Bee sting Soother: To reduce the sting pain from a bee, pour a few drops on the sting.
- Weight Loss: To support your diet and weight loss, replace other fats with this oil.
- Lower Cholesterol: This oil is very rich with lauric acid which boosts the good cholesterol (HDL), and turns down the bad cholesterol (LDL).
- Cold Spores: Stop the spreading of sores and get relieved of them, by applying coconut oil on the areas where it appears.
- Heal a Cough: Mix a teaspoon of raw honey and a tablespoon of coconut oil with hot water to fill ¼ of a cup, and drink it to treat the cough.
- Bug Bites: To any insect bite, to reduce its itchiness simply add coconut oil to it.
- Relieve Sunburn: To relieve from sunburn, mix aloe Vera gel with coconut oil in equal amounts.
- Sore Throat Relief: To treat an itchy sore throat, dissolve a spoon of coconut oil in your mouth.
- Stop Nose Bleeding: To fight the nostril cracking and stop nose bleeding, simply rub some coconut oil on the nostril walls.
- Cuts and Wounds: If you want to treat and heal wounds,cuts and cracks naturally, just apply coconut oil directly to them.
- Relief of Eczma: To reduce the flare up of eczma, use coconut oil to help yourself.
- Relief from Poison Ivy: To soothe the itching, rub some coconut oil on the affected areas.
- Insect Repellant: Add a thin layer of coconut oil on your skin to keep the bugs away, they hate it.
- Relief from a Toothache: Soak a cotton swab in a mixture of clove oil and coconut oil, and place it on the gums.
- Toothpaste: A mixture of 6 tablespoons of coconut oil, equal amount of baking soda and 25 drops of essential oils, and there you have it, homemade natural toothpaste.
- Fight Allergies: For a quick relief from allergies, soak a small cotton pad and place it on the nostrils.
- Soothe Chicken Pox: To relief the chicken pox in your children, rub the coconut oil on the affected areas.
- Mouthwash: Take a few drops of the oil in your mouth, swish it for a while to improve your oral health.
- Prevent Lice: Protect your child from lice, simply by pouring some of this oil on the comb, and brush the hair. This will chase the lice away.
- Remove Ear Wax: To remove ear wax easily, pour a few drops into each ear.
- Get rid of Warts and Moles: To eliminate warts and moles, just rub this oil on them every day.
- Freshen Breath: The main reason for a stinky breath is bacteria, to destroy bacteria this oil will help you just by swishing it for a few moments in your mouth.
- Treat an Ear Infection: Treating an ear infection can be very difficult, but not with coconut oil, simply apply a few drops into the ear.
Infant and Pregnancy Care:
When the baby is born or even during the mothers pregnancy, the coconut oil may be the best choice for the mother.
Stop Diaper Rash: To prevent from numerous irritations, use coconut oil because of its antifungal properties.
- Nipple Cream: If you have irritated nipples, rub a few drops of coconut oil on them.
- Nursing Boost: Take 3-4 teaspoons of coconut oil on daily basis, to boost the milk supply.
- Prevent Morning Sickness: To calm your stomach, during your pregnancy, take a few drops in a teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Moisturize Baby’s Skin: To treat the sensitive skin, apply a few drops of this pol onto dry patches.
- Rub on Perineum: Add some of this oil daily in the last months of the due date, or at least lessen.
Coconut oil is a perfect oil to be used in the household:
- Remove Rust: Add coconut oil to old and rusty household items, leave them for a few hours, your cleaning will be much easier with only warm water.
- Coat Snow Shovels: To prevent from snow sticking to your shovel, while cleaning it, add a thin layer of coconut oil on the shovel.
- Fix Squeaky Hinges: To avoid the irritating noise that hinges make, simply add a few drops directly on them.
- Furniture Polish: To polish your furniture, apply a few drops on it and rub it with a dry towel.
- Plant Shine: To prevent from dust buildup on the inside plant’s leaves, rub the leaves with a little bit of coconut oil.
- Get a Zipper Unstuck: Watch the zipper glide as you add a few drops of this oil on the zipper.
- Chewing Gum Removal: To remove gums from shoes, hair, carpets, simply use coconut oil.
- Lubricate Kitchen Appliances: To sharpen the blades of mixers, blenders, can openers, foor processors, rub a bit of coconut oil on them.
- Leather Shiner: Rub some of it on the boots, pumps or even women purses to make them shine again.
- Leather Cleaner: Using coconut oil as a leather shoe cleaner, will not only clean your shoes but will make them shine once more.
- Remove a Ring: If you get your ring stuck to your finger, don’t panic, just add a few drops of this oil and it will come off nice and smooth.
- Get rid of Soap Scum: Get rid of the buildup on the sink and the shower, by using coconut oil.
These uses are amazing, aren’t they? And these are just some of the countless uses of the coconut oil!
If you read this, you must have learned the lesson, and now you will always be using the coconut oil in your life and in your home!