Did you know anything about probiotics before? They are quite good for you and your health. Eating fermented food can provide the same benefits without taking any pills. If you want to cook even a little and have some free time, try making them yourself.
The comeback of Fermented foods was caused because of their microflora and because they can boost your immune system naturally, without you spending a cent. In most kitchens around the world, these foods are not common, so you might not be familiar with them. On the list below are some of these foods, also a guide how to prepare them if you desire to cook or which brand of them you should buy.
- Sauerkraut – A mixture of salt, water and cabbage. It appears in different flavors, it has quite sour taste which comes from the probiotic bacteria inside the cabbage. It can be easily made at home if you would like to. Just put the salt and cabbage inside a jar, take all the air out and let it ferment naturally, and there you have it, homemade sauerkraut.
- Kefir – It is nothing special, it is just fermented milk. Quite tasty, like a milkshake and also appears in many flavors. The Maple Hill Creamery brand for Kefir is one of the best on the market. It is made out of grass-fed dairy and has another version of it with no extra sugar. It shouldn’t be your first or favorite choice if you have problems with dairy, or simply get the one from almond or coconut milk. Be careful with the ones that have extra sugar. The Kefir is a perfect source of proteins, vitamins and calcium.
- Yogurt – It is the most consumed and common fermented food around the world. As it goes for Kefir, the same goes for yogurt. It can appear processed with a lot of sugar in it, and with no sugar at all if it’s made out of almond or coconut milk. You can make Yogurt at home, you just need time, milk and heat. There are many recipes on the internet about how to make a yogurt. Stonyfield and Maple Hill Creamery are the number-one brands because they make yogurt from products that are grass fed dairy.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – This is the easiest fermented food to make at home, and cheapest! You need one or two spoons daily from it. It is best to use it in your salad dressing, just pour vinegar and olive oil in a small pot than add a little salt, garlic and pepper. If the apple cider vinegar is too tangy for you, add more vinegar to the mixture. Or if you are lazy to do all this just take a glass of water, mix it with a little apple cider vinegar and drink it. It’s the same thing.
- Pickles – At the super market, not all brands of pickles are fermented. They are pickled with vinegar, and the acid ferments them. Pickles that are not made with vinegar, they are fermented with water, salt and bacteria. Here is how you can recognize, if the pickles are staying in a refrigerator in the super market, they are not fermented with vinegar. One of the most recognized brands for pickles is Bubbies.
- Kombucha – You can find Kombucha in every grocery store, so if you want to buy it make sure it contains no sugar. It is a mixture of bacteria, sugar, tea, yeast and water. The yeast and bacteria are consuming the sugar, that makes it a bit fizzy. It contains probiotics like acetic acid and vitamin B, also it contains a little bit alcohol. The batch from kombucha can be still used to take the bacteria from it to make another kombucha. A famous brand for kombucha is GT’s.
- Tempeh – Less popular than Tofu, but very similar to it. Made out of soybeans that are fermenter, it is rich with proteins also it is less processed than the tofu.
- Miso – Made from fermented soybeans, this is a Japanese seasoning, it is traditional. It is hard to make it at home, but there are miso pastes that you can buy and use to stir your fries and use it in soups. It is rich with proteins and vitamin K.
- Raw Cheese – It is very hard to find and is actually approved by the FDA if it’s longed 60 days or more. The FDA thinks that, that is enough period to kill harmful pathogens. They are very common in Europe.
- Kimchi – It has a very strong smell, not everyone can take it. If the smell doesn’t bother you, it will taste delicious. It is a Korean traditional dish, and it is quite spicy. It is mostly made out of Daikon radish or Napa cabbage.
- Natto – In Japan it is a breakfast, it is served with fish, rice and miso soup. No wonder why the Japanese are a healthy nation, they eat a lot of fermented food everyday. Very similar and strong smell as the Kimchi, that’s why many people don’t like it and can’t eat it. You may have already guessed, it is made from soybeans, but they also make it from black beans too.
- Kvass – It is a similar drink to kombucha, it is made from vegetables and rye bread. Now days they leave the bread, and use just veggies, salt, bacteria, fruit and yeast. It is very fizzy like the kombucha.
Therese were the 12 foods we liked you to know about, so why don’t you give them a try and let us know what you think.