Breathing difficulties and persistent coughs in the nasal passage can be caused by accumulated phlegm in the lungs.
The organism fights the severe colds in a strange way, with the phlegm which is a thick substance that is secreted by the mucous membrane, but buildups from this phlegm in the respiratory system, especially in the lungs may cause many other more dangerous issues than cold.
This phlegm is created when you have a flu, a bacterial infection or a cold, and the organism uses coughing to get it out of the lungs and throat.
Weakness, coughs, difficult breathing, runny nose, fever may be caused by this phlegm if it appears in bigger amounts in the lungs. If it’s not coughed out or treated with medication, it can cause serious problems and issues.
To reduce the amounts of phlegm and to prevent from respiratory infections, here are some natural remedies and effective methods:
Eat 3 or 4 slices of ginger a day, it is a strong and natural antihistamine and decongestant. It has strong antibacterial qualities and also expectorant qualities. Or simply make this Ginger Tea and drink it 2 to 3 times a day:
- 2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 6-7 slices of ginger
In a pan with boiling water add the peppercorns and ginger, cover it and lower the heat after a few minutes. For 5-6 minutes just simmer, after that remove the pan from the heat let it cool down a bit and when it’s cooled add the honey.
Honey and Lemon
The honey has very antifungal and antibacterial properties. The lemon contains a lot of vitamin C, which is perfect for the immune system. This combination is very good because it brings relief and it soothes the respiratory tract which has been irritated.
- 2 tablespoons of Lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of organic Honey
The ingredients should be mixed in a cup, drink this mixture 3 times a day.
Curcumin is the most active compound of Turmeric. It treats respiratory infections because its properties are antibacterial.
- A glass of warm water
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of Turmeric
To kill the bacteria, soothe the throat, reduce the amounts of phlegm and treat respiratory infections, gargle for a few minutes with a mixture of turmeric, salt and warm water.
Apple Cider Vinegar
The production of phlegm can be reduced and the pH balance can be regulated with this powerful antibacterial agent which is natural. In a glass of water mix a tablespoon of it and drink it daily, or simply gargle with it for a few minutes.
The mucus in the chest can be loosened and chest congestion can be treated with this method, simply use herb-infused water or breathe in the vapors and steam.
- ½ a teaspoon of dry Rosemary
- ½ a teaspoon of Thyme
- 4-5 cups of boiling water
Cover your head with a towel over a bowl of boiling water with the herbs inside and breathe in the vapor and steam, do this for a few times daily.
- To prevent from phlegm buildups try to avoid as much as possible cold foods and cold drinks.
- To control the mucus in the body, simply use a humidifier at home.
- Try to avoid household cleaners, paint fumes and exposure to chemicals, because these things irritate the throat, nose and lungs.
- If you eat spicy foods like garlic and pepper, it will thin the mucus.
- Tobacco is not recommended in these periods, it is very irritating and causes chest pain.
- Never swallow the phlegm, it is better to gargle with warm water and salt. Then you will be able to spit it out.