A process where the plants are grown in water only, indoors is called the Hydroponics. A lot of greenhouses that work on a larger scale are using this method to grow plants, but it can be used on a smaller scale to grow something at home as well. Many herbs can be grown indoors using this technique, and it could be any time of the year and they would still grow, we’re talking about plants that are rich with nutrients, color and flavor!
Follow these steps if you want to find how it really works:
- Pick a herb and take a cutting of it, we gave you some suggestions below. It should be around 6 inches long and all leaves should be removed from the bottom 4 inches. Because the leaves that are lower on the herb and that would be in water all the time may rot at some point. Also grocery store herbs can be used, but you need to cut the bottom of the herb so it get’s water properly as it needs.
- Fill a large jar or a glass with fresh water, either it’s tap water or rain water. Don’t use distilled water because it doesn’t contain the needed essential minerals that the herb needs to grow. And make sure you are using a large jar that has enough space for the herb to grow, don’t use tight fitting containers because the space is too small for the herb to grow.
- You should change the herb’s water once a week, keep doing that until the roots start to grow. Once the roots have appeared and they grow, don’t change its water, it will not grow anymore.
- Place the glass or the jar that the plant is in, where it can be exposed to the sunlight all the time, for example you can place it on your window’s edge.
- As the time passes your herb will grow every day, so its leaves will become larger and once they have reached their full size, clip them for use but don’t take the herb out of the jar or the glass with water. Clipping the leaves can only cause more leaves to grow on the top, not the bottom. Only one stem can grow indoors and give you fresh herbs all the time for months!
Which herbs are the easiest to grow indoors?
Just as it is in gardening, some plants are easier to grow and taken care of than others. Here we give you a list of 10 herbs that are ideal to be grown with hydroponics process inside.
- Lemon Balm
The meals you cook at home that are in your diet, add some fresh herb that you grew at home from your indoor garden!